[MenTeach] E-News - August 2008

Newsletter about men teachers newsletter at menteach.org
Tue Aug 19 23:01:24 CDT 2008

MenTeach E-News
August 2008

1) Join the Northeast USA mailing list or start your own
2) Pose with someone and we'll post your photo
3) A summer program that successfully recruits young men
4) Men on a Mission: Valuing Youth Work in Our Communities
5) The ongoing cartoon debate - offensive or lack of sense of humor?
6) Seeking men for a research project
7) You Teach What? The experiences of a teacher-principal-coach
8) Do you want to start your own male teacher training program?
9) A teacher's hard lesson: 'Not guilty' is not enough
10) Resources - Find out about resources and websites about men
teaching.

ABOUT MenTeach
JOIN or DONATE to MenTeach
VOLUNTEER for MenTeach
Forward Our Message
To be Removed From the List

---------------

2) Pose with someone and we'll post your photo
Have you seen those photographs of famous people posing with someone.
Well, we'd like to have you have someone famous pose with the "Men Who
Change Diapers, Change The World" bumper sticker. Thanks to Kitt Cox
for this great idea. Spread the word about the importance of men caring
for children: http://www.menteach.org/node/761

---------------

3) A summer program that successfully recruits young men
This year we got 131 young men who put working in Preschool as their
first or second choice for the Mayor's Summer Youth Work Program. We
were able to place 27 of them in Cambridge preschool. Read more about
who did it: http://www.menteach.org/node/788

---------------

4) Men on a Mission: Valuing Youth Work in Our Communities
Read a new book by William Marsiglio's that is based on a new
qualitative study. He interviewed and observed men in a wide range of
youth work settings, including elementary, middle, and high school
teachers. I also have a separate section on men and schools in the
book. To read more: http://www.menteach.org/node/794

---------------

5) The ongoing cartoon debate - offensive or lack of sense of humor?
We continue to have posting about the cartoon by Tom Scott posted to
MenTeach: http://www.menteach.org/node/719. Are men being whiny? What
do you think?

---------------

6) Teacher Shortage or Teacher Turnover
Shaun Johnson, who taught the first graduate course focusing on men
teachers, is continuing his recent and needs some volunteers. Do you
have an opinion? http://www.menteach.org/node/800

---------------

7) You Teach What? The experiences of a teacher-principal-coach
What's it like to be 6'5" and work with first graders. A principal
tells his story about his experiences teaching and coaching. Read his
and others' stories. And of course, tell us your story:
http://www.menteach.org/mens_stories

---------------

8) Do you want to start your own male teacher training program?
Sometimes on quiet days (or when we want a distraction from all the
work we have) we'll do a search on the internet about male teachers,
men teachers, or this time "male teacher training programs."

We found a very interesting program called: MATES - Male Teacher
Support program, where else but Australia. Download the curriculm:
http://www.menteach.org/node/805

---------------

9) A teacher's hard lesson: 'Not guilty' is not enough
A powerful and painful story about what happened to a male teacher who
is false accused and the impact on his life. Have you ever been falsely
accused? Do you know anyone who has been? Read the entire story:
http://www.menteach.org/node/791

---------------

10) Resources - Find out about resources and websites about men
teaching.
There is scholarship, loan forgiveness, tuition free programs as well
as instructions on how to get alternative teacher certification. Check
out the Resources:
http://www.menteach.org/resources/links_to_other_sites

---------------

ABOUT MenTEACH: This email Newsletter has been distributed by MenTeach
- a clearinghouse with a mission to increase the percentage of men
teaching.

Forward Our Message - be sure to forward this message to anyone you
think might be interested in teaching children.

JOIN or DONATE to MenTeach today - support our mission to increase the
number of men teachers. http://www.menteach.org/join_or_donate

VOLUNTEER for MenTeach - help make a difference by volunteering with
MenTeach. We could use help moderating forums, posting articles that
you find, updating the bibliography, hosting a group in your region, do
some research about the percentages in your state, get involved and
make some new friends. Drop us a line to let us know what you'd like to
do.

E-LETTER POLICY FOR INCLUSION: MenTeach's monthly e-letter includes
news/resources/events that are relevant to those interested and
supporting the education, support and care of children and families and
who want qualified men teaching children.

To be Removed From the List
Go to this link and manage your account: