[MenTeach] E-News - November 2008

Newsletter about men teachers newsletter at menteach.org
Tue Nov 25 14:54:13 CST 2008

Please take me off your list

-----Original Message-----
From: Newsletter about men teachers <newsletter at menteach.org>

Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 14:11:12
To: <newsletter at menteach.org>
Subject: [MenTeach] E-News - November 2008

MenTeach E-News
November 2008

1) Boys want male teachers - read a new study
2) My son had an amazing experience teaching
3) Every Head Start required to indicate male involvement
4) It's like having four hundred grand kids
5) ABCNews report continues to attract some controversial comments
6) Research - Early childhood textbook images reflect rules for male
teachers
7) Can a male teacher who is gay be open about it?
8) Do you want to be a television star?
9) The missing father: How male teachers are seen by students from
divorced settings
10) Resources - Do you know what the percentage of male teachers are?
See the data.

ABOUT MenTeach
JOIN or DONATE to MenTeach
VOLUNTEER for MenTeach
Forward Our Message
To be Removed From the List

---------------

1) Boys want male teachers - read a new study
Jack Kammer, who created The Center for Men and Boys in Social Policy
forwarded a new study that comes from the Maine Boys Network has come
out with The Gender Divide in Academic Achievement (2008) that
interviewed boys about their attitude about schools. Read the details
of the report: http://www.menteach.org/node/876

---------------

2) My son had an amazing experience teaching
Read a very proud mother's letter about her son's experience teaching.
http://www.menteach.org/node/877

---------------

3) Every Head Start required to indicate male involvement
One of the men working with Head Start monitoring was able to get an
addition in the monitoring of Head Starts to include male involvement
indicators - like books and posters showing men nurturing. One person
can really make a difference: http://www.menteach.org/node/880

---------------

4) It's like having four hundred grandkids
I am a retired Federal analyst. I retired at 55 with 32.5 years service
(counting an Army stint). When I mentioned to a teacher friend/golfing
buddy that I needed something to do, he suggested teaching school.
Read the rest of his story at:  http://www.menteach.org/node/882

---------------

5) ABCNews report continues to attract some controversial comments
MenTeach.org has had over 30,000 hits after these reports came out.
Both Good Morning America and the ABCNews.com have had hundreds on
comments. Perhaps you want to add your own opinion:
http://www.menteach.org/node/890

---------------

6) Research - Early childhood textbook images reflect rules for male
teachers
Men in early childhood classrooms encounter implicit rules for engaging
with children that are different from those encountered by female
teachers. An article in the Fall 2008 issue of Early Childhood Research
and Practice examines how these implicit rules are reflected in images
depicting touch in early childhood education textbooks. Get the free
link to the article: http://www.menteach.org/node/896

---------------

7) Can a male teacher who is gay be open about it?
With the passage of Proposition 8 in California there has been
discussion in the forums about men in education.  One student asks: Are
there any gay elementary school teachers out there? Read the rest of
his question at: http://www.menteach.org/node/898  and in another
posting one teacher writes about our assumptions:
http://www.menteach.org/node/900

---------------

8) Do you want to be a television star?
My name is Pamela and I'm a television producer in Los Angeles, working
for the tv development company, Target Entertainment. I am currently
doing research for a tv series in development about dads in daycare. I
want men who have chosen child care as their full time profession,
either in their home or at a facility. Read about how you could become
a star: http://www.menteach.org/node/899

---------------

9) The missing father: How male teachers are seen by students from
divorced settings
One man writes in the forum: Over the span of my career, I have worked
in two different juvenile detention facilities. In both cases, I have
seen the effects that a male educational figure can have in the
classroom. Girls, in particular, form early opinions and attachments to
male teachers depending upon their background. Read the rest of his
experience at:   http://www.menteach.org/node/739

---------------

10) Resources - Do you know what the percentage of male teachers are?
You can find out what the percentages of male teachers for each
education level. We post the Bureau of Labor Statistics data:
http://www.menteach.org/node/34

---------------

ABOUT MenTEACH: This email Newsletter has been distributed by MenTeach
- a clearinghouse with a mission to increase the percentage of men
teaching.

Forward Our Message - be sure to forward this message to anyone you
think might be interested in teaching children.

JOIN or DONATE to MenTeach today - support our mission to increase the
number of men teachers.	http://www.menteach.org/join_or_donate

VOLUNTEER for MenTeach - help make a difference by volunteering with
MenTeach. We could use help moderating forums, posting articles that
you find, updating the bibliography, hosting a group in your region, do
some research about the percentages in your state, get involved and
make some new friends. Drop us a line to let us know what you'd like to
do.

E-LETTER POLICY FOR INCLUSION: MenTeach's monthly e-letter includes
news/resources/events that are relevant to those interested and
supporting the education, support and care of children and families and
who want qualified men teaching children.

To be Removed From the List
Go to this link and manage your account: