[MenTeach] E-News - February 2009

Newsletter about men teachers newsletter at menteach.org
Sun Feb 15 14:38:26 CST 2009

MenTeach E-News
February 2009

1) I know why you picked teaching
2) Women supporting male teachers
3) Being falsely accused by students seeking revenge
4) Research about male teachers in Europe
5) Where are all the men? A parent's perspective
6) Why can't I get a job?
7) See a future, potential member of male teachers
8) Just Say NO, to No Touch by Don Piburn
9) Have you ever experienced a negative reaction from a parent about
being gay?
10) Resources - Do you need money to go to become a teacher?

ABOUT MenTeach
JOIN or DONATE to MenTeach
VOLUNTEER for MenTeach
Forward Our Message
To be Removed From the List

---------------

1) I know why you picked teaching
I am a elementary education major (1-5) at the University of Louisiana
at Lafayette. Currently I am a junior and have completed my Praxis I
exam. I will be graduating in the Spring of 2010 and simply cannot wait
to teach young children. Read his e-mail to MenTeach:
http://www.menteach.org/node/972

---------------

2) Women supporting male teachers
We receive many e-mails from women: mothers of boys wanting to teach,
directors with male staff, university professors teaching men and
students doing research about male teachers. Read one of the e-mails
from a teacher from the Philippines and why she is writing a paper on
the topic: http://www.menteach.org/node/968

---------------

3) Being falsely accused by students seeking revenge
What happens to a male teacher that gets falsely accused by young
female students who are seeking revenge after being disciplined? Has it
happened to you? Does your school have a policy to protect against
this? Read what happened to one experienced teacher:
http://www.menteach.org/node/973

---------------

4) Research about male teachers in Europe
In Austria, the field of early childhood institutions and respective
vocational training is undergoing rapid change. The importance of early
childhood and care is increasing, and well-trained professionals - men
as well as women - are very much in demand. Participation and
involvement of men is crucial for the further development and
professionalization of ECEC. Read more about this study:
http://www.menteach.org/node/975

---------------

5) There are all the men? A parent's perspective
Relief! That's the word that describes my emotions last week when we
received the long-awaited postcard telling us who the first-grade
teacher would be. While we're lucky that our school has many very good
teachers, there are a few I'd rather avoid. A good teacher means my son
will likely have a great school year; a bad teacher means... Well,
thankfully we haven't had to cross that path yet... Be certain to read
the comments from people who read her editorial:
http://www.menteach.org/node/977

---------------

6) Why can't I get a job?
What do you do if you have $40,000 in loans from your education and you
can't find a job. With the economy being so poor, is there anything to
do? Read the details of the posting: http://www.menteach.org/node/982
---------------

7) See a future, potential member of male teachers
See some wonderful photographs of a future male teacher and his father:
http://www.menteach.org/node/987 and another photo:
http://www.menteach.org/node/985

---------------

8) Just Say NO, to No Touch by Don Piburn
An editorial by Don Piburn about the increasing hysteria about touching
children in men's care: Male early childhood (EC) educators face
stereotypes that portray us as potential child abusers on a daily
basis. Clearly, children must be protected from child abusers, yet a
principle reason many men give for not entering or staying in the field
of early childhood education (ECE) is fear of being accused of harming
young children (Nelson, 2002).  Read the full article:
http://www.menteach.org/node/970

---------------

9) Have you ever experienced a negative reaction from a parent about
being gay?
One man asks a question in the forums. How early in the year do the
students know that you have a husband and not a wife or a boyfriend
instead of a girlfriend? How do they find out? How have they responded?
Did it continue to be an issue, or did it become a non-issue? Do you
have any suggestions of experiences you want to share?
http://www.menteach.org/node/346

---------------

10) Resources - 10) Resources - Need money for school.
Explore the Resources section of MenTeach.org to find some additional
resources to become a teacher -  http://www.menteach.org/node/35

---------------

ABOUT MenTEACH: This email Newsletter has been distributed by MenTeach
- a clearinghouse with a mission to increase the percentage of men
teaching.

Forward Our Message - be sure to forward this message to anyone you
think might be interested in teaching children.

JOIN or DONATE to MenTeach today - support our mission to increase the
number of men teachers.	http://www.menteach.org/join_or_donate

VOLUNTEER for MenTeach - help make a difference by volunteering with
MenTeach. We could use help moderating forums, posting articles that
you find, updating the bibliography, hosting a group in your region, do
some research about the percentages in your state, get involved and
make some new friends. Drop us a line to let us know what you'd like to
do.

E-LETTER POLICY FOR INCLUSION: MenTeach's monthly e-letter includes
news/resources/events that are relevant to those interested and
supporting the education, support and care of children and families and
who want qualified men teaching children.

To be Removed From the List
Go to this link and manage your account: