[MenTeach] - E-News - June 2009

Newsletter about men teachers newsletter at menteach.org
Fri Jul 3 09:26:41 CDT 2009

MenTeach E-News
June 2009

1) First early educator nominated for Minnesota Teacher of the Year
2) First male teacher in Winnipeg, Manitoba to win MCCA Award
3) Do men's brains change working with children?
4) New DVD about male teachers - Expect male involvement
5) Online university courses about men teaching and boy-ready classrooms
6) A One man school room
7) Missing: male teachers & elementary school principals
8) Three per cent of Britain's nannies are male: A campaign to increase
their number
9) Today's lesson: Courage - a soldier and a teacher
10) Resources - How to get your teaching license? A state by state
answer

ABOUT MenTeach
JOIN or DONATE to MenTeach
VOLUNTEER for MenTeach
Forward Our Message
To be Removed From the List

---------------

1) First early educator nominated for Minnesota Teacher of the Year
I thought I would let you know that I was one of 11 finalists for
Teacher of the Year in Minnesota through Education Minnesota. I spent
the first weekend in May with the other finalists at a hotel in
Brooklyn Park.

The teachers were from around the state and represented kindergarten
through high school and special education plus me as an early childhood
educator. We had a meet-and-greet on Friday night. Saturday we all hung
out together and each had a half-hour interview with 22 panelists. We
also had a luncheon with the panelists in the middle of the day. On
Sunday, they put on a banquet.

Read the rest of his experience: http://www.menteach.org/node/1074

---------------

2) First male teacher in Winnipeg, Manitoba to win MCCA Award
I work in the field of Early Childhood Education here in Winnipeg,
Manitoba. I thought you might be interested in knowing, we just
finished our Manitoba Child Care Association's annual conference here.
On the Friday evening there was an awards dinner.
The award for Exceptional Early Childhood Educator of the Year was
awarded to Terry Bussey: http://www.menteach.org/node/1080

---------------

3) Do men's brains change working with children?
There has been a discussion about an article we've posted to MenTeach
about whether the research about father's changes by being with young
children applies to male teachers?

What do you think? http://www.menteach.org/node/1083

---------------

4) New DVD about male teachers - Expect male involvement
Expect Male Involvement: Recruiting & Retaining Men in Early Childhood
Education. An exciting and effective DVD about men in the lives of
children is now available for purchase. It's already been shown in
Georgia, Canada and will soon be shown in Ireland. A great video about
the importance of men in the lives of children.

Find out how you can purchase your own copy:
http://www.menteach.org/node/1085

---------------

5) Online university courses about men teaching and boy-ready classrooms
The online university course will explore current research and practice
about male teachers including the status of men who teach, challenges
facing men who teach, current models used to encourage and support men
who teach, and resources for men who teach. Read about where you can
sign up to get university credit studying about male teachers and a
boy-ready classroom.
You can also find a link to some of Dr. Margaret King's work:
http://www.menteach.org/node/1088

---------------

6) A One man school room
Laurence Pacey's father was a farmer and a teacher. The senior Mr.
Pacey had never attended high school, but was able to pass the state
test to become a teacher. Laurence Pacey says, 'Everything I learned
about teaching I learned from my dad.'

Read his story: http://www.menteach.org/node/1094

---------------

7) Missing: male teachers & elementary school principals
Out of the 21 principals who were honored that evening, Superintendent
Brizard called only two men to come up and meet him. It wasn't because
the men are less effective principals. It's because they're so scarce.
And male teachers are even harder to find.

Read the entire article: http://www.menteach.org/node/1096

---------------

8) Three per cent of Britain's nannies are male: A campaign to increase
their number
A growing number of British men would like to work as nannies and
childminders but fear they would be branded as paedophiles, according
to a study.

An overwhelming majority of parents and non-parents want more men to
join the child care profession, research to be published this week
shows. Only one in 10 parents said they would be unwilling to place
their children with a male carer.

Read the entire article: http://www.menteach.org/node/1097

---------------

9) Today's lesson: Courage - a soldier and a teacher
Brockton fourth-graders learn about sacrifice as their teacher leaves
the classroom to begin his tour of duty in Iraq. He didn't look quite
like their teacher anymore. Peter Farley stood in front of his
fourth-grade class dressed in his Army boots and camouflage gear, beret
in hand.

Read his story and how he says good bye to the children:
http://www.menteach.org/node/1098

---------------

10) Resources - How to get your teaching license? A state by state
answer?
We get numerous e-mails from men who already have their BA degree and
they want to know what is required in their state. Here are some great
resources to answer that question. This first resource is a great place
to find state by state details:

Certification Map - A new and comprehensive resource on teacher
certification. Includes state by state breakdown of requirements and
lots of other helpful information. To find the link see the short
article: http://www.menteach.org/node/1099

---------------

ABOUT MenTEACH: This email Newsletter has been distributed by MenTeach
- a clearinghouse with a mission to increase the percentage of men
teaching.

Forward Our Message - be sure to forward this message to anyone you
think might be interested in teaching children.

JOIN or DONATE to MenTeach today - support our mission to increase the
number of men teachers.	http://www.menteach.org/join_or_donate

VOLUNTEER for MenTeach - help make a difference by volunteering with
MenTeach. We could use help moderating forums, posting articles that
you find, updating the bibliography, hosting a group in your region, do
some research about the percentages in your state, get involved and
make some new friends. Drop us a line to let us know what you'd like to
do.

E-LETTER POLICY FOR INCLUSION: MenTeach's monthly e-letter includes
news/resources/events that are relevant to those interested and
supporting the education, support and care of children and families and
who want qualified men teaching children.

To be Removed From the List
Go to this link and manage your account: