[MenTeach] E-News - May 2009

Newsletter about men teachers newsletter at menteach.org
Mon Jun 1 07:22:43 CDT 2009

MenTeach E-News
May 2009

1) Do you want to volunteer to work with children?
2) Bureau of Labor Statistics data can be misleading
3) 15 male teachers in one primary school
4) Steve Shuman Award for the Support of Men in Early Education and Care
5) What's New in New Zealand
6) Stories about male teachers making a difference
7) Male actor heading to the classroom
8) Malaysian men don't rule in school
9) MenTeach Mentors needed in Minneapolis/St. Paul
10) Dr. Edgar Klugman talks about his 59 years in the early childhood
profession

ABOUT MenTeach
JOIN or DONATE to MenTeach
VOLUNTEER for MenTeach
Forward Our Message
To be Removed From the List

---------------

1) Do you want to volunteer to work with children?
Citizen Schools partners with middle schools to expand the learning day
for low-income children across the country, helping the students
develop the academic and leadership skills they need to succeed in high
school, college, the workplace, and civic life:
http://www.menteach.org/node/1051

---------------

2) Bureau of Labor Statistics data can be misleading
A member of MenTeach wrote: The Department of Labor Statistics are
misleading for men, particularly Black men. Did you know Black men make
up 1% of elementary school teachers in America. The statistics lump men
and women together. Time to be real on this fact! Read the MenTeach
reply: http://www.menteach.org/node/1054

---------------

3) 15 male teachers in one primary school
Sometimes people really don't believe it's possible to have more men
teaching in the younger grades. But it does happen. In the UK you'll
find 15 teachers in one primary school. Go to the BBC site to see:
http://www.menteach.org/node/1057

---------------

4) Steve Shuman Award for the Support of Men in Early Education and Care
A new award has been developed to honor Steve Shuman for his years of
service supporting gender equity in education. You read a report about
the event: http://www.menteach.org/node/1060

---------------

5) What's New in New Zealand
Check out the interesting group photos and articles in New Zealand:
http://www.menteach.org/node/1062

---------------

6) Stories about male teachers making a difference
I bumped into a veteran teacher I know and she told me this is one of
her favorite times of the year because former students usually invite
her to their graduation ceremonies. We all have teachers we remember,
who changed our lives in ways they may not know. For me, it was Mr.
Dechen, my fifth-grade teacher. Read more stories:
http://www.menteach.org/node/1064

---------------

7) Male actor heading to the classroom
Actor Tony Danza is heading back to the classroom to front his own
reality TV show about education. The former Taxi star, 58, admits he is
struggling to find work as an actor, so he has decided to spend a year
teaching 10th grade English at a New York City school - and film it for
an as-yet-untitled series. And Danza, who earned a degree in history
education from Iowa's University of Dubuque before launching his acting
career, insists the programme will carve out a new genre for reality
TV.

Read the entire article: http://www.menteach.org/node/1066

---------------

8) Malaysian men don't rule in school
With June being the month to celebrate Father's Day, I found my gaze
swiveling towards the 'fatherly' figures we have in our schools. I am
referring, of course, to the male teachers who dot our teaching
landscape. I say 'dot' because the men among us teachers are certainly
dwindling in numbers!

Yes, my ladies - it's us who rule the schools these days. Where have
all the men gone?

In my school, which has 90 teachers, only 18 are men! Since most of
them are more middle-aged than young, it made me wonder - are young men
shying away from the teaching profession these days? Read her
editorial: http://www.menteach.org/node/1068

---------------

9) MenTeach Mentors needed in Minneapolis/St. Paul
Young men, ages 14 - 15 years old, need men mentors who are currently
working or have worked with children. The young man will be working in
youth programs, child care and schools this summer. There are three
levels of involvement. Read more about the program:
http://www.menteach.org/node/1072

---------------

10) Dr. Edgar Klugman talks about his 59 years in the early childhood
profession
people showed up at Wheelock College to hear Dr. Edgar Klugman talk
about this 59 years in the early childhood profession. The particpants
included many Wheelock faculty who have know Ed for many years and well
known in their field: Diane Levin, Gwen Morgan, Jeff Winkour. His two
daughters and grandchildren came too. Read the rest of the story and
see the photos: http://www.menteach.org/node/1069

---------------

ABOUT MenTEACH: This email Newsletter has been distributed by MenTeach
- a clearinghouse with a mission to increase the percentage of men
teaching.

Forward Our Message - be sure to forward this message to anyone you
think might be interested in teaching children.

JOIN or DONATE to MenTeach today - support our mission to increase the
number of men teachers.	http://www.menteach.org/join_or_donate

VOLUNTEER for MenTeach - help make a difference by volunteering with
MenTeach. We could use help moderating forums, posting articles that
you find, updating the bibliography, hosting a group in your region, do
some research about the percentages in your state, get involved and
make some new friends. Drop us a line to let us know what you'd like to
do.

E-LETTER POLICY FOR INCLUSION: MenTeach's monthly e-letter includes
news/resources/events that are relevant to those interested and
supporting the education, support and care of children and families and
who want qualified men teaching children.

To be Removed From the List
Go to this link and manage your account: