[MenTeach] E-News - March 2009

Newsletter about men teachers newsletter at menteach.org
Sun Mar 29 15:26:54 CDT 2009

MenTeach E-News
March 2009

1) Tips for dealing with false accusations

[MenTeach:  Last month there were two incorrect links. They are correct
now.]
2) Have you ever experienced a negative reaction from a parent about
being gay?
3) Where are all the men? A parent's perspective

4) One man says 'yes' to teaching, another says 'no' - what do you say?
5) A man who loves children - see the photos
6) A Guy Walks Into a Preschool
7) Male teachers in Eastern Europe
8) Research Survey about male teachers
9) Seoul, Korea pushing for male teacher quota
10) Resources - Free Tuition programs, but you'll have to move

ABOUT MenTeach
JOIN or DONATE to MenTeach
VOLUNTEER for MenTeach
Forward Our Message
To be Removed From the List

---------------

1) Tips for dealing with false accusations
MenTeach asked a teacher who was falsely accused what advice he would
give other male teachers. Read his practical ideas to protect yourself:
http://www.menteach.org/node/979

---------------

[MenTeach: We apologize for the incorrect link last month to this
posting. The correct link is below.]

2) Have you ever experienced a negative reaction from a parent about
being gay?
One man asks a question in the forums. How early in the year do the
students know that you have a husband and not a wife or a boyfriend
instead of a girlfriend? How do they find out? How have they responded?
Did it continue to be an issue, or did it become a non-issue? Do you
have any suggestions of experiences you want to share?
http://www.menteach.org/node/898

---------------

3) Where are all the men? A parent's perspective
Relief! That's the word that describes my emotions last week when we
received the long-awaited postcard telling us who the first-grade
teacher would be. While we're lucky that our school has many very good
teachers, there are a few I'd rather avoid. A good teacher means my son
will likely have a great school year; a bad teacher means... Well,
thankfully we haven't had to cross that path yet... Be certain to read
the comments from people who read her editorial:
http://www.menteach.org/node/977

---------------

4) One man says 'yes' to teaching, another says 'no' - what do you say?
One young man is very positive about teaching and there is a response
that cheers him on to continue towards his degree:
http://www.menteach.org/node/972

Another man is pessimistic about teaching and says to get out and find
some other work: http://www.menteach.org/node/982

What do you think?

---------------

5) A man who cares for children - see the photos
See the ten photographs of a man interacting with young children. You
might recognize him:  http://www.menteach.org/node/1019

---------------

6) A Guy Walks Into a Preschool
When I was a kid, I never dreamed of being a preschool teacher. I was
sure I would grow up to be a firefighter/astronaut/dragon. But then I
grew up. And went to college. And by the time I finished, I had lost
interest in firefighting and astronauting. And I wasn't qualified for
work as a dragon. Read one man's story about becoming a teacher. What's
your story? http://www.menteach.org/node/1026

---------------

7) Male teachers in Eastern Europe
The Czech Education Ministry wants, in cooperation with the League of
Open Men (LOM), to attract more male teachers to Czech schools by
supporting various projects aimed at achieving this goal. Read the
entire article: http://www.menteach.org/node/961

---------------

8) Research Survey about male teachers
My name is Richard Patterson. I am currently a Graduate Student of The
University of North Dakota. To fulfill the requirements of my course
work I am conducting a research study to identify perceptions and
barriers that male educators working in early childhood education face.
You are being invited to participate in a research study because you
are a pre-service or in service educator, parent or guardian. Go to
MenTeach to find the link to the survey:
http://www.menteach.org/node/1033

---------------

9) Seoul, Korea pushing for male teacher quota
The educational authorities in Seoul are pushing for a gender quota
system for elementary and secondary school teachers in a bid to prevent
women from dominating the profession, officials said Wednesday.

Female teachers account for 83 percent of the teaching staff at
elementary schools in Seoul, according to the Seoul Metropolitan Office
of Education that is to propose the policy to the Ministry of
Education, Science and Technology later in the day. The imbalance has
sparked concerns over a lack of a role models for male students and
difficulty in managing administrative affairs:
http://www.menteach.org/node/1034

---------------

10) Resources - Free Tuition programs, but you'll have to move
Check out some tuition free programs. One is a special education
program in Minnesota called: Collaborative Urban Teacher (CUE) Program
and another program is the Call Me Mister. Scroll through the list of
resources, they are out there - but you'll have to move to another
state: http://www.menteach.org/node/43

---------------

ABOUT MenTEACH: This email Newsletter has been distributed by MenTeach
- a clearinghouse with a mission to increase the percentage of men
teaching.

Forward Our Message - be sure to forward this message to anyone you
think might be interested in teaching children.

JOIN or DONATE to MenTeach today - support our mission to increase the
number of men teachers.	http://www.menteach.org/join_or_donate

VOLUNTEER for MenTeach - help make a difference by volunteering with
MenTeach. We could use help moderating forums, posting articles that
you find, updating the bibliography, hosting a group in your region, do
some research about the percentages in your state, get involved and
make some new friends. Drop us a line to let us know what you'd like to
do.

E-LETTER POLICY FOR INCLUSION: MenTeach's monthly e-letter includes
news/resources/events that are relevant to those interested and
supporting the education, support and care of children and families and
who want qualified men teaching children.

To be Removed From the List
Go to this link and manage your account: