[MenTeach] E-News - April 2009

Newsletter about men teachers newsletter at menteach.org
Sat May 2 23:47:31 CDT 2009

MenTeach E-News
April 2009

1) Watch a video from two years ago about the lack of male teachers in
New Zealand
2) Read the President of ECNewZealand's perspective after two years of
work
3) Turning trash into treasures - a man who recycles for children
4) What are the biggest obstacles you see a man facing when he begins
to teach?
5) Is it worth it to substitute teach in schools to get experience?
6) Do states have reciprocity for teaching licenses?
7) Norway - Changing Gender Roles
8) New Role for the ece-men Listserv
9) An Evening with Ed Klugman - 59 Years in Early Childhood Education
10) Resources - How many man are teachers?

ABOUT MenTeach
JOIN or DONATE to MenTeach
VOLUNTEER for MenTeach
Forward Our Message
To be Removed From the List

---------------

1) Watch a video from two years ago about the lack of male teachers in
New Zealand
In New Zealand, only 1% of preschool teachers are men. If you would
like to watch interviews with teachers and policymakers in New Zealand,
who discuss this issue as a problem, go to YouTube:
http://www.menteach.org/node/1044

---------------

2) Read the President of ECNewZealand's perspective after two years of
work
The video on YouTube about male teachers in New Zealand was
controversial - but - it was a good starting place. Read Russell
Ballantyne's update about what the men and women in New Zealand has
done to promote in a more positive way male involvement:
http://www.menteach.org/node/1045

---------------

3) Turning trash into treasures - a man who recycles for children
Read how one man takes recycled material and makes some interesting
toys. He says that it is about transforming someone else's rubbish into
learning experiences for children, from a male practitioner's
perspective. I will share how it is meaningful to both children and
their communities. These activities provide an opportunity for children
to see how things are used in the real world. See photos of his work:
http://www.menteach.org/node/1046

---------------

4) What are the biggest obstacles you see a man facing when he begins
to teach?
We like to at past posts to see what people were saying a few years
ago. This story comes from 2005, yet, it still seems applicable four
years later. Be certain to read all the comments you see some
interesting suggestions: http://www.menteach.org/node/162

---------------

5) Is it worth it to substitute teach in schools to get experience?
I have recently been entertaining the idea of substitute teaching. I've
done some preliminary research and have found both pros and cons...but
then again, everything has pros and cons. Anyway, I would love to hear
feedback about experiences with substitute teaching and survival tips:
http://www.menteach.org/node/1032

---------------

6) Do states have reciprocity for teaching licenses?
I'm a 23 year old with an Illinois Type 03 (K-9) certificate with a
Special Ed minor. Contrary to popular opinion from former teachers and
principals, I wasn't able to find a job or get more than four offers.
I'm seriously considering moving to another state if the job is
available. I want to see what states my certification will work in or
would work in with a class or test. http://www.menteach.org/node/964

---------------

7) Norway - Changing Gender Roles
The focus on men's roles in Norway's gender equality debate still
generates some resistance. Men are commonly perceived as the strong and
dominating gender while women tend to be viewed in terms of generations
of discrimination and the ensuing need for special measures and
positive actions. This perspective has been fundamental to the
achievement of women's liberation. Read the entire article:
http://www.menteach.org/node/204

addresses. The ece-men listserv was launched in January 2001 and has
served the men and women who support men in early childhood education
quite well since then: http://www.menteach.org/node/1047

---------------

9) An Evening with Ed Klugman - 59 Years in Early Childhood Education
Dr. Ed Klugman has been working in the Early Childhood profession for
59 years, from the era of Joe McCarthy to the history making presidency
of Barrack Obama and continues unabated. He has inspired people for
many years teaching at Wheelock College and continues to inspire males
in the field of early education and
care.http://www.menteach.org/node/1053

---------------

10) Resources - How many man are teachers?
We post the annual data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics about the
percentage of men teaching, being assistants and working in child care.
See how many there were in 2008: http://www.menteach.org/node/34

---------------

ABOUT MenTEACH: This email Newsletter has been distributed by MenTeach
- a clearinghouse with a mission to increase the percentage of men
teaching.

Forward Our Message - be sure to forward this message to anyone you
think might be interested in teaching children.

JOIN or DONATE to MenTeach today - support our mission to increase the
number of men teachers. http://www.menteach.org/join_or_donate

VOLUNTEER for MenTeach - help make a difference by volunteering with
MenTeach. We could use help moderating forums, posting articles that
you find, updating the bibliography, hosting a group in your region, do
some research about the percentages in your state, get involved and
make some new friends. Drop us a line to let us know what you'd like to
do.

E-LETTER POLICY FOR INCLUSION: MenTeach's monthly e-letter includes
news/resources/events that are relevant to those interested and
supporting the education, support and care of children and families and
who want qualified men teaching children.

To be Removed From the List
Go to this link and manage your account: