[MenTeach] E-News - November 2009

Newsletter about men teachers newsletter at menteach.org
Wed Nov 25 12:47:56 CST 2009

MenTeach E-News
November 2009

1) Men teaching in Vietnam
2) What's happening with men in child care in California, USA
3) See the largest bibliography about male teachers!
4) More films about male teachers
5) Would you hire a male nanny?
6) $38,000 for Troops to become teachers
7) Male Teachers in Korea
8) Seeking manuscripts for Journal of Men's Studies
9) Female teachers talk more than male teachers
10) International Networks for men in early care and education

ABOUT MenTeach
JOIN or DONATE to MenTeach
VOLUNTEER for MenTeach
Forward Our Message
To be Removed From the List

---------------

1) Men teaching in Vietnam
People are often surprised when Le Minh Hien tells them what he does
for a living. Hien, 35, has been working at the city's District 3
Kindergarten for 10 years. He is one of only a handful of male
kindergarten teachers in the country. According to statistics from the
municipal Department of Education and Training, of the 12,800
kindergarten teachers working during the 2008-09 academic year, only 29
are male. Read the rest of the story: http://www.menteach.org/node/1186

---------------

2) What's happening with men in child care in California, USA
In California, we have been working to increase the participation of
men in early care and education. The California Association for the
Education of Young Children (CAEYC) has for several years now, had a
committee on Men In Child Care. I am the current chair of this
committee. Read the rest of the report:
http://www.menteach.org/node/1191

---------------

3) See the largest bibliography about male teachers!
We want to thank Shaun Johnson for providing his Bibliography from his
dissertation. It's an impressive list and if you want to add to it,
drop us an e-mail: http://www.menteach.org/node/1192

---------------

4) More films about male teachers
'Goodnight Mister Tom' is a 'masterpiece theatre' production original
aired, I believe, on public television (circa 2005). Based on Michelle
Margorian's novel (winner of the 1982 IRA Children's Book Award), by
the same name, this story centers on a somewhat bedraggled, single, and
sour-aged man. Living quietly and at war (privately and ironically)
with the world around him, his self-imposed tranquility is suddenly and
irrevocably altered by the evacuation of children from London during
the Blitz (1940). Read the rest of the review and about some other
movies about men and children: http://www.menteach.org/node/1193

---------------

5) Would you hire a male nanny?
They can cook dinner. They can give hugs. And they can play baseball.
Who says men can't be nannies? Kris Pohl is the first man to make it to
the finals of England's Professional Nanny of the Year competition.
Read his story: http://www.menteach.org/node/11

---------------

6) $38,000 for Troops to become teachers
Troops to Teachers is a program to help men and women become
teachers.For many eligible participants, the Post-9/11 GI Bill is a
better solution than other education benefit programs, such as the
Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty, Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve
and the Reserve Education Assistance Program (REAP). Find out if you
qualify: http://www.menteach.org/node/1199

---------------

7) Male Teachers in Korea
A YTN TV reporter recently examined the phenomenon of the shrinking
number of men teaching in Korean elementary schools, and quotes a few
women who worry that women teachers can't control the kids, who
furthermore are not learning about their correct gender roles. Read the
article: http://www.menteach.org/node/1200

---------------

8) Seeking manuscripts for Journal of Men's Studies
I want to move ahead with a special or thematic issue of the Journal of
Men's Studies dealing with men and the teaching profession with a
special focus on the early grades (not opposed to other educational
levels though). To accomplish this we need to identify a guest editor
or editors (GE) that would oversee the solicitation, review process and
mss acceptance for publication. Read the entire letter:
http://www.menteach.org/node/1202

---------------

9) Female teachers talk more than male teachers
Teachers tend to spend more time speaking than most professionals,
putting them at a greater risk for hurting their voices. They are 32
times more likely to experience voice problems, according to one study.
Read more about the study: http://www.menteach.org/node/1203

---------------

10) International Networks for men in early care and education
Check out to new and updated links to an international and global
movement for men in early care and education. There are many things
going on throughout the world! Join in and be a part of world change:
http://www.menteach.org/node/43

---------------

ABOUT MenTEACH: This email Newsletter has been distributed by MenTeach
- a clearinghouse with a mission to increase the percentage of men
teaching.

Forward Our Message - be sure to forward this message to anyone you
think might be interested in teaching children.

JOIN or DONATE to MenTeach today - support our mission to increase the
number of men teachers.	http://www.menteach.org/join_or_donate

VOLUNTEER for MenTeach - help make a difference by volunteering with
MenTeach. We could use help moderating forums, posting articles that
you find, updating the bibliography, hosting a group in your region, do
some research about the percentages in your state, get involved and
make some new friends. Drop us a line to let us know what you'd like to
do.

E-LETTER POLICY FOR INCLUSION: MenTeach's monthly e-letter includes
news/resources/events that are relevant to those interested and
supporting the education, support and care of children and families and
who want qualified men teaching children.

To be Removed From the List
Go to this link and manage your account: