[MenTeach] E-News - April 2011

Newsletter about men teachers newsletter at menteach.org
Fri Apr 29 11:14:35 CDT 2011

MenTeach E-News
April 2011

1) Increasing need for Elementary School Teachers
2) 40% of grandparental childcare provided by men
3) Helping students go from 'Boys 2 Men'
4) South Korea: A quota of men in teaching
5) What If We Treated Doctors The Way We Treat Teachers?
6) Opinion: We Need More Black Male Teachers
7) Men in Rush to be Primary Teachers
8) Number of men applying to be primary school teachers soars by more than
50%
9) Why don't more MEN work with CHILDREN? Watch the movie!
10) World Forum - Men in Early Childhood Education gathering

ABOUT MenTeach
JOIN or DONATE to MenTeach
VOLUNTEER for MenTeach
Forward Our Message
To be Removed From the List

---------------

1) Increasing need for Elementary School Teachers
An always increasing population means that more teachers are needed to
instruct America's youth. With 597,000 job openings expected between 2008
and 2018, elementary school teachers will see more job growth than any
other career that requires a bachelor's degree, according to the College
Board. Training: You'll need a bachelor's degree, plus certification, to
teach elementary school. Requirements vary by state, though private
schools require only a bachelor's to get started. Average Pay: $53,150.
See the article: http://www.menteach.org/node/1639

---------------

2) 40% of grandparental childcare provided by men
A report published today by childcare charity Daycare Trust has shattered
the traditional image of grandparent carers, revealing a greater gender
balance than previously thought, and a generation of 'super-grandparents'
combining employment with childcare responsibilities. The research, which
is the first part of the organisation's Big Lottery funded project
'Informal Childcare: Choice or Chance?', has also underlined the crucial
childcare role that grandparents, other relatives and friends play in
keeping the labour market functioning and the economy going. Read about
the research: http://www.menteach.org/node/1641

---------------

3) Helping students go from 'Boys 2 Men'
Sixth-grader Elijah Brown's blue dress shirt bagged out over his beltless
khakis inside the cafeteria at Forest Heights Elementary School. The loose
look may have been a style choice, but it also was clear that Elijah had
some room to grow into those dress clothes. Read about the program:
http://www.menteach.org/node/1643

---------------

4) South Korea: A quota of men in teaching
The educational bureau of the city of Seoul push for a quota system to
guarantee a certain number of male teachers in primary and secondary
schools in an attempt to prevent women's domination of the profession, it
was learned from official sources. In the Korean capital, women represent
83% of primary school teachers, said the Municipal Office for Education
(Seoul Metropolitan Office of Education), which intends to propose its
revision at the Ministry of Education, Science and technology in the day.
According to Seoul City, women teacher have a problem with male students
who do not find their teachers as "role models" and secondly it generates
problems of administrative management. Read the article:
http://www.menteach.org/node/1644

---------------

5) What If We Treated Doctors The Way We Treat Teachers?
A good friend and colleague who is now in Chicago first gifted me with
this parable. It's been in my thoughts lately as my wife pursues her
medical degree. In fact, she and I have talked about this at length, and
when making comparisons between how physicians and teachers are treated,
she is just as astounded. Read more: http://www.menteach.org/node/1648

---------------

6) Opinion: We Need More Black Male Teachers
U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan is on a mission: He wants to tour
several historically black colleges and speak directly with
African-American male students about teaching in the nation's public
schools. It's a bold and unprecedented initiative - and comes at a
critical time for black America. Consider this: Only 1.7 percent of the
nation's 4.8 million public school teachers are black men. Most black boys
may never be educated by someone who looks like them, and sadly, some
African-American boys will never experience a black male role model in
their public school classrooms. http://www.menteach.org/node/1651

---------------

7) Men in Rush to be Primary Teachers
The number of men applying to be primary school teachers has rocketed
during the economic downturn. Education has turned into a boom industry
with a 52 per cent increase in male applicants wanting to teach four to 11
year olds over the past year. Figures from the Training and Development
Agency for Schools reveal how a combination of recession and redundancies
has forced people to re-evaluate their career goals. The statistics also
reveal an overall increase in men starting teacher-training courses, with
a 49 per cent rise in the number of applicants. A total of 7,885 applied
in 2008/09 compared with 11,721 in 2009/10. Go to website:
http://www.menteach.org/node/1653

---------------

8) Number of men applying to be primary school teachers soars by more than
50%
It is a profession which has been dominated by women for generations. But
now it appears many more men want to become primary school teachers. The
surge of applicants for training courses is being put down to the economic
downturn and rising unemployment making the job more attractive. The
number of men wanting to train for primary teaching has risen 52 per cent
in the last year, from 3,125 to 4,746. Traditionally, there has been a
ratio of four female teachers to every male in primaries.
http://www.menteach.org/node/1655

---------------

9) Why don't more MEN work with CHILDREN? Watch the movie!
[MenTeach: This is one of the most informal talks about men teaching we've
ever seen. A guy just walking along the highway talking about men working
with children. Gotta love YouTube! You can see him talking about other
ideas here: http://demcad.blogspot.com/] "Men are severely
underrepresented in elementary schools, child care homes and day care
centers. In this video, I'll explain why I think many men avoid teaching."
Watch the movie: http://www.menteach.org/node/1656

---------------

10) World Forum - Men in Early Childhood Education gathering
Join us for a world of ideas on caring for the children of the world! The
World Forum Leadership team for Men in Early Childhood Education is
delighted to announce the gathering of men and women from all over the
world to attend the 2011 World Forum on Early Care and Education:
Honolulu, Hawaii. Save the dates, May 3 - 6, and make plans to join your
colleagues from around the globe to share ideas on caring for the children
of the world. There are several events, lunches and workshops focusing on
men in early education. http://www.menteach.org/node/1658
---------------

ABOUT MenTEACH: This email Newsletter has been distributed by MenTeach - a
clearinghouse with a mission to increase the percentage of men teaching.

Forward Our Message - be sure to forward this message to anyone you think
might be interested in teaching children.

JOIN or DONATE to MenTeach today - support our mission to increase the
number of men teachers.    http://www.menteach.org/join_or_donate

VOLUNTEER for MenTeach - help make a difference by volunteering with
MenTeach. We could use help moderating forums, posting articles that you
find, updating the bibliography, hosting a group in your region, do some
research about the percentages in your state, get involved and make some
new friends. Drop us a line to let us know what you'd like to do.

E-LETTER POLICY FOR INCLUSION: MenTeach's monthly e-letter includes
news/resources/events that are relevant to those interested and supporting
the education, support and care of children and families and who want
qualified men teaching children.

To be Removed From the List
Go to this link and manage your account: